Sunday, January 15, 2012

Day 3

Day 3 was going to be a challenge because of my schedule, but I maneuvered through it like a stealth fighter.  I gave myself no excuses for missing breakfast, so I woke up early enough for my son and I to eat breakfast, which was oatmeal (of course, sprinkled with Sensa).  He and I were going to spend the day cooking in the Church kitchen and doing other related work to prepare meals and take them out to the homeless in Detroit's Cass Corridor.  (The Youth Council at our Church did an awesome job at coordinating this event in celebration of MLK Day.)  The mouthwatering smells of juicy fried chicken and creamy, cheesy macaroni wafted through the air all day.  When lunchtime came for us, I consumed only a small portion of mac and cheese, plenty of green beans and chicken.  I could have taken the skin off the chicken, but the great thing about Sensa is that I do not have to deprive myself of such things, as long as I keep portions in check. 

All in all, it was a beautiful day of service to the community and a confirmation of my personal commitment and strength toward losing weight and becoming a better me.  My son was moved by seeing the homeless people and providing food to them.  He returned to the Church with a softer heart and feeling of pride in himself.  It was an all-around wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment